The University of Pittsburgh Center for Research Computing (CRC) is searching for a Technical Lead to manage our High Performance Computing (HPC) resources, comprising more than 9000 cores, including an MPI sector, an SMP sector, a high throughput sector, a GPU sector, and storage. The position’s main responsibility is to assure proper operation of Pitt’s hardware and software infrastructure, which will involve building positive relationships with CRC faculty and users as well as personnel from the University’s Network Operations Center (NOC).
You will be joining a team of dedicated consultants who advance leading-edge research by focusing on growing the productivity of Pitt researchers through the application of advanced computing. We support research in fields such as engineering, chemistry, genomics, biostatistics, economics, and linguistics, among many other areas. Your efforts will be supporting a world-renowned teaching and researching faculty.
Among your responsibilities, you will be expected to:
- Troubleshoot CRC hardware and software issues
- Follow hardware developments in advanced research computing and networking
- Maintain software updates to the operating system (RHEL), provisioning (Warewulf), and queuing (Slurm)
- Maintain and improve Slurm configurations and user experience using the cluster
- Maintain CRC user-facing ticketing system, including:
- Adding and moving users
- Assisting users with questions (delegating when it makes sense)
- Work with CRC faculty to maintain and build application services such as JupyterHub, OpenOnDemand, and CLCBio
- Advise CRC management on the acquisition of new hardwar
This position calls for at least three years of experience in HPC or related field. Knowledge of Linux, provisioning such as Warewulf, and scheduling systems such as SLURM. Familiarity with MPI and OpenMP programming. Knowledge of languages such as Python, Bash, C++ or similar. Familiarity with interconnect technologies like Infiniband, Omnipath and Gigabit Ethernet.
For more information and to apply, go to: https://cfopitt.taleo.net/careersection/pitt_staff_external/jobdetail.ftl?job=19002579&tz=GMT-04%3A00&tzname=America%2FNew_York
Help Desk Analyst
The University of Pittsburgh Center for Research Computing (CRC) is searching for a Help Desk Analyst to join our growing team. This position's primary responsibility will be to provide technical support by managing and responding in a timely manner to electronic tickets that can be resolved without requiring an understanding of the underlying disciplinary academic field. We support research in fields such as engineering, chemistry, genomics, biostatistics, economics, and linguistics, among many other areas. Our Center for Research Computing is well known in the Pitt community for providing outstanding customer service support, and our Help Desk is critical to this success. The incumbent will need to have a positive customer service attitude, including the willingness to help users regardless of their expertise or attitude. While we expect the Help Desk Analyst to resolve a wide range of technical issues, difficult tickets can be referred to CRC faculty.
Duties also include accurately updating logs and customer contact lists and producing reports. It may also include producing documentation such as responses in FAQs. Since the CRC operates in a high performance computing ecosystem, you will be expected to become familiar with HPC techniques. This is an opportunity to take your Help Desk career to the next level.
- Familiarity with the fundamentals of Linux scripting languages, bash, Perl, and Python (account creation, writing general scripts to set storage quota, etc.)
- Proven responsibility when given root privileges
- Ability to communicate clearly, both verbally and in e-mail
For more information and to apply, go to https://cfopitt.taleo.net/careersection/pitt_staff_external/jobdetail.ftl?job=19004817&tz=GMT-04%3A00&tzname=America%2FNew_York